Here are a few things to remember about managing your leash:
- Release the leash smoothly when the dog starts to search.
- You, the handler, should only move once your dog begins searching.
- Use the leash line to keep your dog focused on the objects (container/vehicle) or the area (interior/exterior).
- Avoid crowding your dog.
- Use the leash to help your dog access unsearched areas.
- Smoothly manage the leash to turn your dog.
- Use the leash length to assist in rewarding your dog and then have the dog begin to search again.