Think about search areas from your dog’s point of view.
- Determine whether it is more important for you and your dog to run a pattern that you define, or follow you dog’s natural pattern.
- Consider time pressure in the trial/test environment.
- What is the COST of you running a specific pattern for your dog?
“Presenting” is a method of getting your dog to perform a more detailed search of a specific area through a combination of hand gestures and body positions.
- If you consider using presenting, present during class and practice.
- Be careful not to over present to your dog — you want your dog to use his nose to search, not to rely on your presenting.